Monday, March 3, 2014

We Bike To DC is Over!

Yesterday, we completed our ride into DC. An awesome group of riders, from our BikeDC community, met us in Greenbelt, MD, for the final segment of our journey.  This included a quick spin past Lake Artemesia, one of my favorite rides just outside the city limits.  We arrived at the US Capitol for photo opportunities and then a short ride to our host hotel.

We've finished the ride but our mission is far from over.

Today we attended the Women's Forum at the National Bike Summit. Four of our ten riders presented. I had no idea I had been surrounded by such awe inspiring women for the past four days. It was so cold (yes, I'm still talking about the weather) that social/professional chatter was not high on the list. Even when we did talk, it was so muffled by balaclava's and other cold weather gear that I'm not sure I heard anything clearly. I chalked that up to old age, but in reality I think we all had frozen ears. Even without lengthy conversations we bonded.

I have formed lifelong friendships with women more than half my age. It was exciting to have an opportunity to participate on this ride but I'm more excited about things to come. Not only will our organizations continue to advocate for Women's Cycling, I've been invited by my new friends for bike rides to the beach this summer and the NYC Century in the fall. I'll also be attending a women's day at a velodrome. Though I don't race, and at my age have no desire to start, I've always wanted to ride a fixie on a banked track!

Thank you to Liz, Kristina, Casey, Kaelin, Katie, Laura, Ayesha, Mary, Nelle and our very own journalist, Karen for putting up with the old lady who required a slower pace and shorter mileage during the frigid temps. Arthritic joints just don't like the cold, but it also isn't a reason not to ride.

On one hand, I want to say let's do it again next year but unless The League changes the dates or location (California, Arizona, Florida ... I'm sensing a pattern) of the National Bike Summit, I may have to find a replacement for my slot. Of course, she must be at least 50 :-) 

Does the blog end here.....NOT.....I already have multiple rides planned for this year and hope to share more on my advocacy work to get additional women on bikes.


@DCxFitChic







No comments:

Post a Comment